Welcoming your baby, skin to skin, naked and curled up against you, in the birth room, is a wonderful way to allow him to arrive smoothly and get to know each other. The explanations of Anna Roy, midwife at the maternity of Bluets in Paris.
Skin to skin, how is it?
- The multiple benefits of skin to skin now make it, to the extent that the newborn and the mother are doing well, a recommendation of good practices in the birth room.
- Once your baby is out, the midwife will immediately put it on your chest, dry it, cover it with sheets kept warm in an oven and cap a cap so that it can maintain an optimal temperature.
- So your baby can recover by benefiting skin-to-skin effects.
1 / To avoid hypothermia to your baby
- When you arrive in the world, your toddler does not know how to regulate his temperature.
- Hypothermia, a body temperature below 35 ° C, is one of the major risks that could, if prolonged, put his life in danger.
- The skin with skin, more and more practiced in the maternities, makes it possible to avoid this danger. Spending the first two hours of his life, curled up against you, allows the baby to raise his body temperature.
2 / To help him recover from the ordeal of birth
- The transition from aquatic life to the air is a real test for your baby!
- He will put a lot of energy into trying to control his heartbeat, blood circulation and breathing.
- There is evidence that newborns put on skin to skin at birth, have more stable oxygen and blood sugar levels, as well as a more regular heartbeat.
- In addition, during this tender body-to-body, your baby will colonize the bacteria on your skin. They will be useful to him to develop his own immunity and help him to better defend himself.